Guess who’s back! After a brief hiatus due to you know, life, I’m finally back with a new post. The last few weeks have been busy, finishing my research project taking up the most time. In between that I’ve been volunteering at the campus Women’s Center, going on retreats with amazingly strong women, and travelling. In fact, last weekend I was in Savannah with beautiful people, new friends and old, and man was it beautiful.
Anyway, of course when I was back on campus, my homework was there to greet me with open arms. So while I spent the first few days catching up, I’m definitely in responsibility avoidance mode now. Look at me deftly avoiding all my responsibilities:
The best ideas come from procrastibaking, and that’s how these cupcakes came about. About to start homework? Wine? Check. Chocolate? Check. Motivation? Let me get back to you on that.
Now go make these cupcakes and bask in your amazing poshness.
Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes
Yield: ~12 Cupcakes Prep Time: 25 Minutes Cooktime: 18-22 Minutes
Based on this recipe.
- 1 1/8 cups (141 g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (35 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk (2% or higher, I used coconut milk, you can usually substitute it for whatever you have)
- 2 tablespoons red wine (I used $12 cabernet. I’m cheap.)
- 8 ounces of dark chocolate (I used 60% cacao Ghirardelli chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In largest bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners.
- In a smaller bowl, mix egg, oil and sugar until together until smooth. Add melted butter, red wine and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add half of the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add the milk, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix well until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate bits. In your lined muffin pan, use a tablespoon or 1/4 cup to scoop your batter. Bake for 18 minutes, then check. If not done, bake for an additional 4 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
Red Wine Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons red wine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. This will take at least 2 minutes.
- Add half of the powdered sugar. Mix until begins to come together.
- Add wine, vanilla, and remaining powdered sugar.
- If frosting is still too runny for your tastes, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it begins to come together.